2023 Avatar bug (I cannot edit / change it)

Grungeman

Italian - Italy
Hi there,

today I decided to change avatar but can't.

My old avatar was South Park's Cartman.

I did read elsewhere on the Forum that the restrictions should be 80x80 and a weight < 2kb.... but this does not seem to be the case anymore.

Whenever I go to my Account Setting and click on Edit on the avatar, I find the following sentence:

It is recommended that you use an image that is at least 400x400 pixels.

Therefore:

1) I deleted the Cartman image and saved the page. Now I see a capital G;

2) I created a 400x400 image with Photoshop, weighing at 46,9 KB (with the Greek text "γνῶθι σαυτόν");

I tried uploading it but failed and the avatar reverted back to Cartman.

I tried making many jpgs, even the smallest possible (516 bytes, 80x80) to no avail !
It has always reverted to the Cartman image.

I attach the 400x400 image. Can some administrator help me?

Attachments

• Gnothi sauton.jpg
    Gnothi sauton.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Hello, member for 16 years with three posts!? Glad to have you here. :)

I have no idea why it would revert to the Cartman avatar. That sounds very strange.

Anyway, I just uploaded your image to be your avatar and it seems to be working now. Let me know if there are problems.

I've experienced some similar issues as well, dear @mkellogg. I usually change/delete my avatar when I feel a bit under the weather, as is often the case, and it usually takes a couple days to upload properly.

Many thanks, as always!

it usually takes a couple days to upload properly.
    Do you get error messages? Next time this happens to one of you or anyone reading this, please write down the exact time and write me about it. I will check the error log to see if there is anything I can fix. The system should be set up to accept anything and convert it to an appropriate format.

That was interesting and thank you, Daniele. The "large" size of your avatar is stuck on the old avatar, whereas the other sizes seem to have the new avatar.

I believe I got it fixed. The service provider that I started using for images a couple of months ago had some strange default cache settings. I just changed the settings. It will probably take a while for current avatars to change, but any future avatar changes should change immediately.

Back